Sunday 1 October 2017

Grange Road in 1970

These are the Grange Road pages from the 1971 directory








Grange Road is a fairly modern road inasmuch as there was nothing much there at all apart from the windmill in 1849, here is the link to the 1849 map of Ramsgate http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/1849map2/ like the directories we sell the 1849 sheet map in the bookshop. I suppose if you are fairly dedicated and can’t wait for the bookshop to open on Monday morning, you could print of the images that make up the map and Sellotape them together. I don’t post this map to people as the cost, cardboard tube and postage is more than the £9.99 the map costs, so if you live a long way away you will have to do your best.

Not sure when the picture if the mill in Grange Road was taken, I would guess the 1930s, I haven’t been able to find any 70s pictures of Grange Road.

Nor am I sure how many of these shopping streets to blog posts to do, perhaps Addington Street, York Street… I am sure that the shops were an essential part of what made our towns and as the move towards internet and out of town shopping is still grinding on I wonder exactly where this will leave us.

I am very lucky to be able to price the books in my bookshop for less than they can be bought online and of course I can see why this isn’t practicable for other shops. In fact many of the non food and clothes shops I visit have become showrooms for products that will ultimately be bought cheaper online, although how manufacturers will show people their products in the future begs some interesting questions.

While on the subject here is the links to the pictures of the books that wen on our shelves on Saturday http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/the-russians-in-bookshop.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.